Sunday, August 2, 2009

Across France


Our departure from Estavayer-le-Lac went very smoothly. We were able to depart on time and we made very good time across France to Paris and the CDG airport. We got there at 2pm and Don unloaded all of our stuff at terminal E. We had a lot of stuff, with our bicycles in cases, our edclothing case, and we got lazy and stuck some stuff in other bags, plus I had 3 bags of groceries. So, we stationed ourselves and our pile of stuff right at the beginning of Terminal 2E and waited for the LeBreton Family to drive up. We were supposed to meet them at 2:30. Don told me to watch for a Ford sedan, so I craned my neck, checking every silver car for the Ford logo, all to no avail.

At 2:30 I decided to go into the terminal to see if I could find the LeBretons. Oops, the French police were there, armed with machine guns, closing off half of the terminal and preventing anyone from going to the station where the flight was supposed to check in. So, I went back to our lookout area, figuring we stuck out like a sore thumb and surely they would see us. We waited and waited and Don was getting madder and madder. He told me not to arrange to meet at the airport, and he was right because it is too crowded and busy, but I didn't know another place to suggest.

I tried to call Philippe LeBreton, but couldn't get through on my phone. Then I got a fellow who was standing nearby to call on his phone for me and it went to voicemail, so I left a message. Finally Philippe called me and told me he was at station 7, but I couldn't make out if it was terminal E or A. Earlier 7E was closed by the police. Anyway, I finally found him at 7E and we had a chance to chat briefly and get keys and information and meet Yohann, his son. I was completely tongue-tied and forgot any French I ever knew, so I probably seemed like an idiot. At 4pm, when they had to check in, we said our goodbyes and I took Yohann down to meet Don, who was sitting on our pile of stuff. The two guys went off to get the LeBreton car and finally he came by and we loaded all of our stuff in the car and headed out for Giverney. Don wanted a chance to go back to Giverney, the home of Claude Monet, because last time we were there his camera was broken and he didn't get to take any pictures.

It was a long day of driving and waiting, but we finally arrived at the town of Evreux where we checked into the B&B Hotel. This is a budget chain, 39 euros a night, but it was very nice. The room was very small, but fine for sleeping, and the room was clean and the bed was comfortable. They had a nice buffet breakfast in the morning.


After our breakfast we drove a few miles over to Giverney and the sun came out and so Don was able to get some good shots. The gardens were in full bloom and looked beautiful and colorful. The tour buses began rolling in and it was getting quite crowded, so we finished up and headed out for St. Germain en Cogles and our next home exchange.

The drive was several hours and we were tired when we arrived, but I had Don stop at the supermarche, and despite his admonitions to only buy enough for 3 days, I was so happy to find reasonably priced food, I bought quite a bit. It was pouring down rain and I didn't have any bags, but I just put the groceries back into the cart and unloaded them into the car that way.

Don had programed Trexie (our GPS) for the house and we found it pretty easily and pushed the control to open the gate, fitted the key into the door and entered our new home. The house is very nice, with a new, large kitchen, dining room, sitting room, 4 bedrooms and two bathrooms. The yard is quite large and overlooks a green belt and cornfields. Michele LeBreton has some beautiful, colorful fuschias in her yard and lots of lush houseplants inside.

We had a light lunch, made a heartfelt wish that our son would meet the LeBretons at SFO, and went to bed.
The next morning Don put our bikes together and we went for a short bike ride to Fougeres and explored the town a bit and remembered the last time we were here, 25 years ago. Things have changed and the town has grown, it seems. Of course we were there in December, and froze to death and the chateau was not officially open, although we got in anyway. There were no people around at all. But on this visit, during the high season, the cafes and bistros were full of tourists and the tourist areas were bustling. We saved our visit to the castle for another day, stopped at the Tourist Information Center, and headed home.

This evening we had Chaucroute Garni for dinner and called to talk to DJ and Gary and Grandkids before calling it a night and popping into bed. Weather is dicey and I hope it clears up in the morning. The news is full of reports of major traffic jams heading south to Provence. The freeways here are never crowded, but I guess they were this weekend, with bumper-to-bumper cars full of French vacationers. I am glad we are in Bretagne and not Provence. We haven't run into unbearable crowds, except at Giverney.

Tomorrow and in the future days we plan bike riding excursions in the countryside, maybe a trip to Mont Saint Michele, another excursion to Jersey, and who knows what else we will find. We will keep you posted.

1 comment:

  1. Is that same castle in Gruyere that we went to when it was dank and grey? Looks much more hospitable in the summer. The little village looks very familiar. KW

    ReplyDelete